13 Questions with The Black Gypsies


Melbourne's The Black Gypsies play rock 'n roll like it should be played, hell they'll make you remember why you liked it in the first place. Cale Mason, the man behind the gypsy curtain, undertook 13 Questions for MMB.

1. Who are your heroes?
I guess artists who have stuck it out through all the disappointments in this industry, and have managed to continue doing what they love to do.
2. The first band you saw live?
I really have no idea, I've been taken to shows since before I can remember.
3. What's your favourite Melbourne music venue?
I've always loved the vibe of Festival Hall, but I'm not too much a fan of the sound.
Also smaller venues like Yah Yahs or The Espy, there’s something more intriguing about hearing the sound of a band directly, rather than a sound engineer’s reinterpretation through a massive PA.
4. What’s the best (or dumbest) thing that’s been said to you at/after a show?
Generally I'm in a daze after a show, so I don't remember much, I usually hide away for a bit.
5. Why 'The Black Gypsies' as your band name?
Who knows I was 16...
6. What makes you smile?
Playing records really fucking loud.
7. What makes you cringe?
The petrol warning light that seems to be on my dashboard permanently.
8. Describe the raddest heist you’ve ever pulled off. What’d you steal?
I was once know to steal garden gnomes..
9. What bands should people reading this be listening to?
Most bands with 'Black' in their name a usually worth a listen.
10. Give Melbourne some words to live by... we all know it needs some.
Whisky compliments coffee.
11. You are guilty of shameful things. What are these BAAAAD things?
Its not nice to assume that, but yeah you're probably right.
I listened to some pretty horrible bands when I was a kid, and I'd rather not mention.
12. You can choose one musician/act, alive or dead, to perform with The Black Gypsies for one night only. Who do you choose?
Bonham, Plant or Josh Homme.
13. What can we expect from The Black Gypsies in the near future?
Lots of shows, new records and possibly a new name...

The Black Gypsies - Web - Facebook - Bandcamp

0 comments:

Post a Comment