13 Questions with Blonde on Blonde


Jack, one-fifth of Brisbane rockers Blonde on Blonde, took some time out recently to answer some questions for MMB. New posts. Shit yeah.

1. Who are your heroes?
David Bowie, My Dad, John Frusciante, Batman, Glenn Richards from Augie March. That guy is too good at writing lyrics and must be stopped.
2. The first band you saw live?
I pretty much grew up in pubs to that would be hard to pin point, but the first big rock show I went to was Red Hot Chili Peppers. But their support acts were Magic Dirt and Crazy Town, so Crazy Town would be the first band I saw live. How cool is that! CRAZY TOWN!? Not very.
3. What's your favourite Brisbane music venue?
I love the Zoo, I always wanted to play there growing up, and I've had the pleasure of playing there so many times I've lost count now. Also the Tivoli. Playing there is amazing, it's almost regal. It sounds a million dollars, and the staff are attractive as fuck.
4. What’s the best (or dumbest) thing that’s been said to you at/after a show?
I once walked off stage and a guy told me he had seen Jane's Addiction a few nights before, and that we were better. It's amazing the nerve some people have to lie directly to your face.
5. Why 'Blonde on Blonde' as your band name?
We wanted to make it hard for people to google us.
6. What makes you cringe?
My youth, Big nights out. Some of the people I've slept with. Our early demo's. Actually in the very early days of the group we recorded a cover of "This Is Love" and it's fucking horrible. All copies have been destroyed.
7. Describe the raddest heist you’ve ever pulled off. What’d you steal?
We haven't really stolen anything, that's naughty. However, we flew down to play some shows in Sydney and a friend of ours snuck beer into the venue in my pedal case because we didn't get a rider. There were a few left over and he forget to take them out, and when we got to the airport in Brisbane my name was called over the loud speakers, and all the beer had smashed and had leaked through my guitar pedals. Sorry Virgin Blue.
8. What bands should people reading this be listening to?
Red Spencer, Royal Blood, Woe and Flutter, The Happy Mediums, Oceanics. Vincent Kemp and the Dead Lovers, RVLR, Redshift, Elegent Shiva, Fiona Apple, Joni Mitchell, Us. Giants of Science = Best Brisbane band ever.
9. Give Brisbane some words to live by... we all know it needs some.
Don't try and speak Spanish to the girl at Mad Mex in the valley if you can't speak Spanish. She is lovely and is serving you nachos at stupid o'clock in the morning, it's not funny.
10. You are guilty of shameful things. What are these BAAAAD things?
We once sang the entire jagged little pill album on the way to Toowoomba because our stereo was broken. And by once I mean, that happens a lot.
11. You can choose one musician/act, alive or dead, to perform with Blonde on Blonde for one night only. Who do you choose?
Motley Crue
12. If someone wrote a biography for Blonde on Blonde what would the title be?
Being in a band is hard
13. What can we expect from Blonde on Blonde in the near future?
Nudity, swearing, tours, videos, dinner parties, Warm hugs, and an album once somebody has decided to pay for it. I don't know, we don't have a manager anymore and we are all hopeless at making decisions. If we all manage to stay out of prison I'll be happy.



Blonde on Blonde - Official
Blonde on Blonde - Facebook
Blonde on Blonde - iTunes
Blonde on Blonde - Triple J Unearthed

0 comments:

Post a Comment